Thursday, January 20, 2011

Mom's letters to AR

27 Feb 1943 to Mrs Mary Adcock Murfreesboro, AR Forwarded to Pike City AR from A.M.Roland Box 133 Bledsoe TX

Dear Mother , How are you this pretty Saturday? It's so nice and warm, makes me feel like getting out and planting seed, but I have no place to plant, so guess I won't. Well we had a sandstorm yesterday byt the kiddies had a nice Valentine Party anyway. Louise came after Christine at noon. They had cookies, cup cakes, pop corn balls. Louise got 13 valentines.  Little Charley Lee got one at school. Christine got 4. She was so happy over them. One was a big thing, a girl with pink slacks on pumping water in a bucket. We want to buy us a cow this month. Cows are so high and I am going to try to raise baby chicks. Eggs are $.35 now. Have you heard from Jude? I sent her a Christmas card but haven't hrard a word since she was at Post.. Just about 100 miles from me. She said she was coming to see me. Guess Jodie wouldn't come on. I was crazy to see Jude and the kids. Did you get your valentine? Hope so. The kids picked it out for you. I will make you some aprons and summer underwear as soon as I get a few more sacks on hand, maybe by warm weather. Wish you were here to help us eat red beans and taters. We got some hot pepper yesterday to eat with them. I have quit coffee and feel so much better. I don't have those weak nervous spells like I did back there. You remember you said you had them too. I drink Postum and like it so much better than coffee.

Part of this letter is gone.

------------------------------------------

5 Dec 1945 to Mary E Adcock Murfreesboro, AR from Helen Ruth Roland Goodland Rt Hugo, OK

Dear Grandmother, Don't think I've forgotten you for I certainly haven't. I would have mailed this earlier but I didn't go to town last Saturday. How is everyone out there? We are all well and enjoying life.It sure has been cold here, but has moderated and is warmer today. I had a letter from Mother last week. They were well. Grandad gave me a black calf. She sure is pretty but is wild as everything. I sure would like to see you. If Aunt Nita and Uncle Hubert (Heber) take a notion to come down here to see Boots (Boots was Aunt Nita's sister) , you pile in and come down to see me. Granny wpuld be glad for you to come, and would sure love to see you. Tell everyone to write me and tell them "Hello". Hope you have a wonderful birthday. Ans. soon and tell me all the news With love, your grand daughter, Helen Ruth Roland Mother said Clifford was coming home, send me word as soon as he arrives.

-------------------------------------------------

16 Dec 1949 to Mother from Artie, Maple TX

Dear Mother, got your card and thanks a lot for it. I have been sick, but it was all caused by a tooth. I had it pulled and am ok again. Yes, the shots help me. I take them every other Tuesday. No, we didn't make much pulling cotton this year. You see, they have bole pullers ( the farmers went mechanical) so we just got to pull what the bole pullers couldn't get, and I wasn't able to pull much. Dr said I could pull in the afternoon. It turned off cold before we got through pulling. Buddy is working at the gin at night. He goes on at 7 at night and gets off at 7 in the daytime. But his job will only last this week. I won't get to send you a present right now, but will send one by New Years. I haven't been to Morton since J.T. and Ora was here. Christmas won't be much here this year, as everything is so high and my doctor bill has been so much. Christine and Charles Lee will have their trees at school Friday. They have both grown so much since I was back there. ToTo's (Clifford Martin, Mother and Dad's last baby. We called him ToTo and then it changed to Tooter. He was named after Uncle Clifford, and he was also called Tooter.) main song now is " You're Gonna Change or I'm Gonna Leave."He is a ssight.

All of this letter isn't here

------------------------------------

17 Dec 1949 Christmas card to Mrs Mary E Adcock, Hot Springs, AR from Albert, Artie and Kiddies contains no letter.

No comments: