Sunday, January 16, 2011

Old Letters

1934 to Artie Mae Roland, Borger, TX from Mary Adcock, Murfreesboro, AR penny post card:


Dearest Daughter,

We are all well.Hope you are. We waited to see if you wrote a letter. Thanks for the cards. Sure were pretty. Send pictures soon.Curtis hasn't seen them and J. T. wants his . He is at Heber Springs. He hasn't seen them either. Hope you are moved and like it there.

Lovingly,

Mother

_______________________________________________

5 Aug 1935 to Mrs Mary E Adcock, Murfreesboro, AR from Artie Roland, Pampa Tx penny post card:

Dear Mother, Hope you are well by now. Albert is working out of town and I don't come to town often. I sent cards last week, so let me know how you are at once and often as you can, for I worry so much about you. We are ok. Hope Birt(sic) is better now.

Answer soon,

Your Daughter, Artie

----------------------------------------------

30 Jun 1939 to Mrs S A Adcock, Pike City, AR from Mrs A M Roland Hugo, OK

Dear Mother and Dad and All, We got here ok It was raining when we left Nashville, rained most of the way, was raining when we got here and rained all day yesterday. The mail had run before we got breakfast so we didn't getb to mail you a caed. The kiddies are having a big time. We canned 30 cans of beans this morning. Mrs Roland and I are going to town this afternoon leaving the kids at home with Emily. Mrs Roland gave me a set of cups and saucers,a good looking oil stove, sewing machine and several other pieces of furniture. If Albert comes in the truck. Did Ida and Curt get home alright? D A (Dewey Alton) said, "get gun, shoot big bus, go ride in Daddy's car."

It cost me $5.80 to get here. How's Papa making it? Have Ida or J.T. write me often so I can hear how he is.Well, be good. Mrs Roland is in a hurry so by by. Love to all, Artie

---------------------------------------------------

20 Jun 1939 to Mrs S A Adcock, Pike City, AR from Mrs A M Roland, Hugo, OK envelope only.

--------------------------------------------------

26 Jun 1039 to Mr & Mrs S A Adcock, Pike City, AR from Mrs A M Roland Hugo, OK

Dear Mother & Father, How is Pike? We are well. Hope to find you all the same.We canned beans this morning. Went to church yesterday. Dorty(sic) Earwood is taking care of C A Shultz place. Mr & Mrs Dane Franklin folks live at Swink. They are all Holy Rollers. Mary has 2 or 3 children now. One of the Colley boys lives here close, but Mrs Roland don't know his name. Hermer Winn came to see me this morning. Her girls are big girls now. Rachel & Florence isn't married yet. Dock is married. Mrs Canady is married again but I don't know (who) she married. Old lady Winn is able to go visiting to see Dollie. Mrs Lowe had another bad spell last week. I haven't found out where Mrs Berryhill lives yet.

How's our garden doing? Hope you get a good rain.Tell Bert and Freddie Christeen (sic) says they gone by by. Everyone here is getting her to say "do too". Did Hebe and Nita get to come Sat. Hope so.

Mrs Roland let me read the letter Mrs Hill sent her. She told Mrs Roland that we had cold water corn bread for breakfast and hot choclet(sic) and nothing else to eat. (Mrs Hill was the nosy old woman at Pike City, AR that used to try and snatch cards and letters out of our hands when wec went to get the mail).Is Wanda still with you? I left some meal, soda, soap, and beans. You all can use them. Did you get Wanda's dresses made? Hope so.Louise & Betty Jo had three new dresses all ready made when they got here. One is white trimmed in red rickrack. Baby rickrack. 2 are trimmed in the ruffles with pink &; yellow and blue. 2 are blue. Helen Ruth said she wanted to write you, but it is raining, and she has come in and asked for paper. They get busy playing. Buddy hasn't been still a minute since we got here. He and Roland ( Aunt Emily's son) help Grandaddy hoe in the field.

Well I must quit and write some to the rest so be good and let me hear from you and Dad. Love Artie.

-------------------------------------------------

In same envelope from Helen Ruth Roland to Granny Adcock

Tomorrow is Mother's Birthday. 27th June

Dear Granny,How are you by now? Well, I hope.Remember that you have a family of true friends and you know who that is. It is your grandchildren. Betty Jo and Louise said tell you hello. They said they got here alright and are going necked (going without clothes). Well, I thought I would write to you to make you happy. Well, I will close with lots of love, your grand daughter, Miss Helen Ruth Roland

------------------------------------------------------

Also in same envelope to Berthell and Freddie from Artie Roland

Dear Birthell and Freddie, How are you both. We are all ok. I have been canning beans and making pickles. I have been to town twice. Went to church yesterday. Christie was naughty. Mrs Roland had to take her out side once and I once, and Buddy once. She didn't cry, but would mock the preacher, and run in and out the door, and down the street saying, "Do too, ha ha" J. T. hope you can stay with Mother awhile. Birt write and tell me how Papa made the day. Did he talk much about me leaving? Hows your crop looking? Gardens look fine here. We have lots of garden stuff to eat. Carrots we don't have to cook them. They eat a big dish full now twice a day. Helen Ruth was glad to see us . We had to change at DeQueen and at Idabel. It rained and hailed on us most of the way and rained a big shower after we got to Hugo. I called Mrs Roland on the phone and told her a lady wanted her to come to bus station for her. She turned around and said a lady wants me to come to the bus station for her. Helen Ruth jumped up and down and clapped her hands and said I'll bet it's mother. She was out of the car and in to where I was before Mrs Roland could get the door open. Billie (Billie Marie Bugg, Uncle Jack and Aunt Berta (Roland) Bugg's daughter) isn't as big as Helen and is slim. Jack came for her Sunday night. We eat berries and cream for breakfast. It is raining here today. I want to go spend the day with Boots (Boots was Aunt Nita's sister. They were Siffords, and I don't know who she married.) tomorrow if nothing happens. I haven't saw(sic) Buster King yet. Hope to see him soon. He seems like a brother to me. Buddy, Roland (Lee Hardin, Aunt Emily (Roland) Hardin's son) Mary Louise & Betty Jo are having a show upstairs, and you can't hear your ears. I guess Roland is embarrassing her.(Aunt Emily)Today she and I both lay down to sleep, but I can't sleep for them. Love to both. Tell Mrs Deen(Fred Dean's mother) hello for me. Artie

-----------------------------------------------------------

18 Jul 1939 to Mrs Nita Adcock Highland, AR from Mrs A M Roland Hugo, OK

Hello Everybody, how's everyone there, tired out, I guess. I don't feel so good these hot days. although I lay down every afternoon and take a nap. Helen Ruth takes the baby and plays with her. Everything she sees she says, "I want one". I haven't seen Boots since I spent the day with her. I saw her daddy. He had been to town all day. Just came about 5 or 10 minutes before they came after me. He said if he had knowed I was coming he wood have stayed at home. He looks good. Wish I could see Jude and the rest. If I had knowed she was coming for sure I wood have stayed a little longer and seen her. Looks like you all could have some pictures made and send me. I guess I will stay here until the latter part of August and can and gather peas. We canned peaches yesterday, and tomatoes. We want to can peas again tomorrow. Our beans are gone. You all didn't say where to send your mail so I am going to send it to Nita, but its to all of you.

. Mother, Dad, Jud Alma( her name was Elva Edith, but she was called Jude or Judy), Nita, Birt (Berthell), Freddie and boys and girls and kids and babies. Guess you all have all the peaches you want to eat. We do, and we eat watermelons and cantalopes til the world looks level. Is Curt and Ida working there, too? Hope so. What is J. T. and Mother planning on doing after harvest is over? How long do you think you all will stay? Jud, I wanted to see you so bad but can't. Well, I have me a sewing machine and a nice looking oil stove, mattress, bedstead, springs, a bunch of cook vessels and a bunch of dishes; cups; saucers; plates, bowls, sugar bowl, cream pitcher, and am ready to keep house again. That about as much as I can ever get ahead. Well folks write me a letter if you're not too busy. Be good, kiss all the little ones for me. Kick all the big ones. Love  Artie      Buddy, and Helen said hello to Granny and all. Love to all, Artie

-----------------------------------------------------

No comments: