Thursday, July 24, 2008

Early Memories

This picture is from Clarendon Tx, but is so close to what I remember.

Black Duster - this was at Stratford,TX, 1935, but this is how it looked. My earliest memory is of a black duster sand storm at Pampa, Texas, March 25, 1935. I was less than 2 years old at that time, but for the most part, the memory is quite clear.My older brother said he figured the reason I remembered the storm was because I almost choked to death. My memory is a little off, because it seems like we were outside playing, that Mother saw the dust rolling in and came got us. To me it seems like she was carrying a baby, but as I was the baby at that time, she would have been carrying me. Or,I was chasing tumbleweeds with the rest of the kids. There were four at that time. Anyway - she made the kids hold hands and on to her skirts. She got us to the house, but she had clothes hanging out in the line. She told us to stay in,and went and got the clothes. It was so dark, you couldn’t see. We had an electric light bulb overhead, and it was just a faint glow. Mother came back and called each child, and everyone answered until she called me. Helen Ruth, called "Sister", Roderick Steven called "Buddy", "Maryn Louise" (actually Mary Louise but a cousin pronounced it this way). everyone answered, "I’m under the bed", but Betty Jo didn’t answer. I was in the floor, choked on the dust. The naked electric light bulb in the ceiling was just a glow, barely seen through the dust. They called them black dusters, but the haze I recall was red.

No comments: