Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Old Letters




Some of these letters, I find, I can no longer make out. I had cataract surgery a couple of years ago, and lost close vision. I do have reading glasses. Some of these letters and post cards are from back in the '50's ,'40's

and 30'ss and written in pencil. Quite yellowed and faded. I am hoping to find someone interested enough , and that can see, to help me get them on the pc


This one is from Odessa Francis Moore Duford daughter of Nina & Earl Francis ( grand daughter of Stephen and Mary Phillips Adcock) Odessa never dated her letters, and I didn't think to date them when they came in - so - if they are not still in the envelopes, I have no way of dating them. We corresponded frequently 1n the mid '80's into the '90's.




(Maybe I should explain, here, that I lost a daughter 22 Feb 1987, and just couldn't focus on much of anything for awhile. Darla had 3 children, and I took them to raise. Not sure that was a good choice, that , at that time, I was sane enough to give children the support they needed. Neverless, I kept them for the next 6 years. Then was told I had to get out from under the stress. That was really a tough time. I loved and missed them so much.)'


The letter: (and this is how it starts.)


Odessa Francis Moore, born in Auther City, Texas in 1922, married (Frank) Edwin Moore 1935 at Paducah, Tx, We had a girl, Dorothy Moore, born in Canyon, Texas 1939. A boy born in Canyon Texas in 1941, Charles Moore. Cecil Moore born in Canyon Texas in 1842, Patricia Mae Moore. born in Tulare, Calif., 1944. William DuFord born in 1951 in Bakersfield, Calif., father William Duford. Ronnie Lee born in 1956 in Bakersfield, Debbie Diann Duford born in 1856 in Bakersfield. Wes Duford born in 1957 in Bakersfield. This is my family.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


(she begins listing her sisters and brothers)


Oleta Francis born 18 Oct in Hugo, Oklahoma, Edward Francis born 2 Jan 1925 in Arther City,Texas, Donald Lee Francis born in Hale Center out of Lubbock Texas 1929, Bill 5 Aug 1932 Bill - Billie Gene Francis in Arkansas close to Highland (Hope) . Aunt Nita (Mary Venita Sifford married Heber Sherman Adcock. Heber a brother to Nina Elverta Francis. or Aunt Mimi-Odessa's mother} will probably know what the name is. He was born in 1932. Mary Earlene Francis born 6 May at Paducah, Texas, close to Meador City.She was born in 1935. The year I got married and the same month 9 May in Paducah, Texas. Earleen married Alford Landon Youngblood.


Barbara Ann Francis born in Wasco, Calif., close to Shabter, Calif., born 1941, April 8, if I am not mistaken.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Nina Laveorda, they called her Mimmie, it was a nickname. This is what she told me her name was. I was looking for a baby when she said "Let me name it. " I said, " If it's a girl?," She said," It'll be Nina Gale." I said, "O'k." It was born a boy, a mean one ,too.My Mom was born in 1901 in Heber Springs, Arkansas to Mary Adcocks and Steve Adcocks. She died Labor Day, May 30, 1988 and was burried June 3rd in Bakersfield California.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


My Dad (Earl Eugene Francis)was born in Texakana,Tezas on the Oklahoma line (?) born in 1900 to Leah or Leta Mae, that's who they named Oleta after, I think after his mother. She was a real full blooded Indian. She is probably Great Granny Adcocks age when she had him. His dad was John Francis. I have no idea how old he was, probably around 30, because Uncle Lee and Uncle Marshall was grown up then, I guess. I would like to have their ages, birth records.( This Marshall Francis married Nancy -Nannie-Phillips, sister to Mary Ellen Phillips Adcock. Mother called them Uncle Marshall , Uncle Lee & Uncle Budd)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

u look like my granny.mimmie was what my grandpa called her.

Betty said...

I think this is all I have on Uncle Earl. I knew about the three brothers as Uncle Marshall md Aunt Nannie. Mother called all three brothers Uncle.Did I send emails for other relatives?
Do you do MySpace/ I can post what pictures I have and you can save them to your computer or to discAlso, do you have family pictures to share?

Betty said...

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 3:51 AM, sheryl staggs <3_streams@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

"Hello:" Betty,
I'm emailing in regards to my surfing upon your site. I found it to be quite interesting, I must say. The genealogy works' you have done are something. I was sorry to read about your eye problems and I hope you're doing better, now. I enjoyed reading all your old letters' and stuff. I had no idea Odessa Francis Moore was communing with someone at that time. I met her on one occasion. I believe it was in the 1970's era. She seemed to be very family and church oriented. I enjoyed reading about her family and viewing the photos'. I believe her sister: Mary Earlene Francis/Youngblood, may have taken the photo of Nina and Odessa? Or, so that's what Earlene told, at one time. I'm not sure if you know: Odessa, her parents', and all but one of her siblings have passed away. I'm, also not sure, how to spell her name but she is the younger of she and Earlene. Her name is Bobbie Powell and she looks alot like Earlene, now. She is a widow, she has an adult son, daughter, and some grandchildren. To my knowledge, they all reside in Oklahoma, today. Of: Eugene Earl and Nina Adcock/Francis; children that Odessa wrote, as living, in the 1970's: Edward died in an auto accident, his wife and children reside in Lamont, Ca. Donald had brain cancer prior to his passing, his wife and children reside in Lamont or Bakersfield, Ca. Odessa seemed to live a very full life prior to her passing. I'm not sure but I believe her children reside near Lamont, Ca., also. Earlene had incurable lymph node cancer at her passing, her spouse committed suicide as a young man, and their children reside in Oklahoma. Billy passed with a fatal heart attack, his wife and children reside in Bakersfield, Ca.. And, Oleta passed with emphysema and possibly her heart, as well. Her children reside in the San Quaqin Valley area of Ca., and in Oklahoma. The youngest brother: Earle also, died in an auto accident as a young man and left behind a child or, two? I'm not sure where they reside. And, I don't recall, what took the life of their sister Barbara, during her childhood, afteral? Life is short, isn't it. Watching all of the Francis/Adcock siblings throughout their lives', it was something. It's been nice sharing with you and may you have a wonderful day. "Sincerely," Sheryl.

Betty said...

sheryl staggs"Hi, Betty." It 's nice to hear from you, too. In answer to your request, I'l...
Dec 27 (5 days ago)

sheryl staggsLoading...Dec 27 (5 days ago)

sheryl staggs to me
show details Dec 27 (5 days ago) Reply


"Hi, Betty." It 's nice to hear from you, too. In answer to your request, I'll post the info. to the comment site, later. I guess, I just wasn't, thinking. "Yeah," the weather's been kinda dull, huh. Our families have all gone through the virus', etc. I'll sure be glad when the frigid cold, leaves. I hope, you're getting around better, too. You asked if I'm kin? "Yes," I'm married to Earleen's eldest son: Terry. We reside in Oklahoma City. Terry had asked me to contact you and thus you replied. That doesn't happen, often. He is computer illiterate so he's having me to search for him. I understand, you've been left with quite a task in keeping, all of the family letters', photos', etc. ( Actually, all I have is some of}Granny Mary Adcock's things. )And: "yes," I understand how some have taken what they wanted. "Yes," I do know the feeling.We're very delighted to have seen the picture of Alford and Earleen on your site due to, we have none. . However, Earleen did leave Terry a family bible prior to her passing. Thus, it had been gone through by his siblings prior to our receiving it. So, there isn't much of records' in it. We found burial notices' for Nina's youngest son: Earl Eugene Francis (nick name) Bugzy and a: Pearl Lee Francis as well as, records' of Earleen and Alford's children: Cathryn, Terry, Henry, Alford, their parents, and grandparents'. And then, there are pages missing that had been torn out by (whomever) prior to our receiving it. Terry is grateful, we ran across your site. As, he had no clue as to his family heritage. In fact, he would like to call you by phone if it's possible? What little information we received so far is from Terry's cousin: Linda, she's Earleen's sister: Oleta's, daughter. Also, he and I were surprised to read, you call his, granny Nina: Aunt Mimi. Due to, some of our grandchildren call me: mimi, and that is not a tradition of my own family. "LOL!" "Hum," what are the chances of that. It was started by our eldest grand daughter: Shelbie. Terry and I have 5 children: Tammy, Keith, Tracie, Chassittie, and Alicia. And now, they have children, too. We have 11 grandchilden, total. One of our daughters' resides in California while the other 4 reside in Oklahoma. Now, according to what I have learned from your site, aren't you and Vicki distant cousins' to Terry? Oh and I forgot to mention Oleta's spouse had also passed away with a bad heart after she passed. Well, I must go, now. "Take Care," and be kind to, yourself. Betty, I myself, travel like a snail, now. Due to, health and "my," your web site reads that you are 75 years old. You're a total: inspiration, Betty. I started this email earlier, today. Now, I'm sitting up with tornado watches for us. "LOL!" Terry and the rest of the neighbors' are asleep. Never the less, I must tend to some things' so you be good to yourself. "Sincerely," Sheryl.

Betty said...

sheryl staggs to me
show details Feb 4 (2 days ago) Reply


"Hello," Betty. How are you? "Sorry," I didn't get back to you, sooner. We sure had a thick ice freeze, here. It's all gone and melted, finally. Terry was sick for awhile but he's better, now. He was surprised to learn he has cousins' on his mom's side, here. "Boy," isn't it a small world, afteral. He tells me, he recalls Earleen mentioning an, Uncle Marshal and Uncle Bud. In fact: he went to Uncle Bud's funeral, with her. He said he'd only seen him a couple of times' when he was a very small child. So, Vickie and you are a surprise to him. Earleen married Alford Landon Youngblood in Nevada on April 29,1952. However, she went onto marry a guy: Tommy Holmes, shortly after Alford, died. I'm not sure of if that's his birthright name? I knew him and he was a real, jerk. Afterward, she became the sweetheart of a a drinking, cold hearted, cruel man whom: claimed to have murdered a woman somewhere in his past or, so he boasted.Later, she told me of how, he tried to choke her to death, eventually. She then went onto marry a man: Bill Clinton, I'm not sure of his birthright name, either? After, she told me: how she escaped from him and that he had tried to kill her: abandoning her somewhere in a tiny camping trailer with no food, water, and snow on the ground, she ended up divorced, again. And then, there was another man whom she married sometime in the early 1990s' name: David Gregg. A retired Army: alcoholic some have, told me. I never met, that one. However, I was told he was living with some other woman than Earleen when he died. You know, she had a terribly hard life and was a very strong woman for her small size, in my eyes. I saw her surpass the men in strength and will. And yet, she was fragile, somehow? I'm not sure, what that is called but I notice our daughters' have it in life, too. With a life of more scruples' of course. "LOL!" Anyway, Terry received a call this week, telling him: Nina's granddaughter: Mary Francis, passed away with a brain tumor {cancer} recently. They told, she had a severe headache, tests' were done, they diagnosed and gave her 6 months to live. However, she passed 2 days', later. She belonged to Granny Nina's son Edward Francis. I don't know her age but I believe she was in her 50s'. She was a good woman to my knowledge and I enjoyed the couple of times' I was around, her. So, her family needs strength, right now. I have an appointment so I have to go, now. "You take care," Betty. "Sincerely," Sheryl.

jennylynn1970 said...

Cheryl,
I have enjoyed reading yout stories of the Francis Family, I am the Grandaughter of Odeassa Francis Moore Duford and the Daugher of Cecil and and Shirley Moore.(Redding, Ca)
I live in Colorado with my Husband Gary and Daughter Kassandra (Kassy).
I have 2 sisters one 3 years older (Glenda) and one a year younger (Michelle)and a Brother (Cecil Jr) who is 4 years younger whom all reside in Northern California (Redding and the bay area).

I would love to hear from you,

Jenny (Moore) Simpson