Thursday, July 24, 2008

Memories

I borrowed this picture off the web for a jigsaw puzzle . It is so close to what I remember!
This Must Have Been 1935/ 36
It was a trip to AR. Mom's mother had gone blind, and her Dad's mind was going bad.They decided that Mom needed to go back and help take care of her folks. We had made the cotton harvest in Texas, meeting up with Aunt Mimi and Uncle Earl Francis, Aunt Jude and Uncle Jodie Sechrist, and pulling bolls with them. When the harvest was over, we went on to AR. I remember riding in the back of the vehicle (a Ford pickup, or a car that Dad had put a bed on.) Us kids would go "Ahhhhh" just as long as we could. Hitting bumps it would quaver, and we thought that sounded great.I don't really remember this part - but talking to Buddy later - Dad would pull up to a service station. He would ask the gas price. He thought it was too high and say,"Just fill it up with water." (Wouldn't he love the prices today!!!!) I know he must have bought gas.I am not sure just where we stayed when we first got to Pike City. I do remember Granddad Adcock. He seemed to me to be a really big (tall) man .Dark complection. (Later, when Gwen had to do a family tree in school, her teacher said he was Indian, told what kind, and where he was from.)How I wish I had written that down!!He let us follow him around and HELP him. He was clearing out a fence corner, and throwing rocks over a fence. I got in the way, and got hit in the head with a rock.Chris was born at a little place called Eggshell, just out of Nashville, Howard County, AR. Her birth certificate says Nashville. I remember the night she was born. Dad took us to a neighbor's house , and my memory here is not so good, although it could have been worse. The man led me out onto the porch, took his penis out and put it in my hand. I don't remember what he said, but it scared me, and I ran back inside.I must have told Mom, but don't recall doing so. When I mentioned it as a grownup, she was surprised that I remembered it, and said that Dad had gone over and jumped the man.I am not sure how I feel about not knowing that Dad had done that.I think if I had known that maybe I would have come closer to forgetting. Who knows? Maybe not.Granny was still able to get around at this time. I remember that her hair was very, very long. White as snow. She would let us kids brush her hair. We loved that. Her ears had been pierced and she kept broom straw through the holes. She would break them real short. We liked getting to turn them daily.Then Mom went outside one day, and Granddad had the baby (Christine) on the chopping block, and had the ax. Scared her really bad. He said we were having chicken for supper.That is when Mom and Dad decided that Mom couldn't take care of him and worry that he would harm the children.

No comments: